The Series 9 models form the flagship series of electric shavers from Braun: In October 2021, the Series 9 shavers also produced the test winner at Stiftung Warentest with a grade of 1.6 and once again placed a Braun electric shaver in pole position with the consumer organization. Reason enough to take a close look at the model series and test it extensively. What features and convenience does the Series 9 offer? Does it also deliver a satisfactory shaving result in difficult areas and are the new Braun Series 9 Pro models worth the rather high price? Our detailed test report summarizes all important information.
Table of Contents
- 1 Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: Comparison Chart
- 2 Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: What do Braun Series 9 shavers offer?
- 2.1 Can a razor be worth that much money?
- 2.2 10D Braun Series 9 shaving head with 4+1 shaving elements
- 2.3 40,000 scissors and AutoSense
- 2.4 Braun Series 9 battery and display
- 2.5 Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: What are the differences between the Braun Series 9 models
- 2.6 Braun Series 9 test: How do Series 9 (Pro) shavers from Braun perform in practical tests?
- 2.7 First impression: Braun shaver series 9
- 2.8 Charge battery / mains operation
- 2.9 Adjust Braun Series 9 razors
- 2.10 Shaving with the “Braun Series 9” razor
- 2.11 Cleaning, maintenance and care of premium razors
- 2.12 Braun Series 9 cleaning cartridges:
- 2.13 Cleaning – Braun Series 9 without cleaning station:
- 2.14 Braun Series 9 accessories and spare parts
- 2.15 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.15.1 Braun shaver series 9: Can the battery be replaced?
- 2.15.2 Can a Braun Series 9 shaver be used on the body?
- 2.15.3 Can the shaver trim a beard (e.g. three-day beard)?
- 2.15.4 Do Braun 9 series shavers work with cleaning stations from other Braun series?
- 2.15.5 Can Braun Series 9 shavers without a cleaning station be subsequently “upgraded” with a cleaning station?
- 2.15.6 Why does the cleaning droplet icon appear after every shave?
- 2.15.7 Are all Braun Series 9 shavers waterproof, so can they be used for wet shaving or in the shower?
- 2.15.8 Can a Braun Series 9 shaver also be operated with a mains cable (e.g. when the battery is empty)?
- 2.15.9 How often does the shaving head need to be changed?
- 2.15.10 Can I use the razor with shaving cream or in the shower?
- 2.15.11 Which Braun Series 9 shaver is the best?
- 2.15.12 Can the shaver also be used for scalp hair?
- 2.15.13 Conclusion
Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: Comparison Chart
|Features||Braun Series 9||Braun Series 9 Pro|
|Shaver Head Lock||Precision Head||Precision Switch|
|Safety-Lock Button||Under Thumb||Flick-on|
|Cutting Actions |
|Suitable Beard Length||Up to 3 days’ worth||Up to 7 days’ worth|
|Battery Life||45 mins||45 mins|
|Runtime||Up to 60 minutes||Up to 90 minutes|
|5 Mins Quick Charge||Yes||Yes|
|Cassette Technology||Lift & Cut||ProLift|
|Case||Hard-shell fabric or leather travel case||PowerCase or leather travel case|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: What do Braun Series 9 shavers offer?
Can a razor be worth that much money?
Often several hundred euros: While Braun Series 1 and 3 shavers sometimes cost less than 50 euros, Series 9 razors are outrageously expensive and make your wallet five or six times as expensive. Can a razor be worth that much money?!
“Yes” will probably say one or the other who has tried his luck in the past with a listlessly rattling cheap razor.
Problems are caused by long and close-fitting beard hair: Short, almost vertically growing stubble is not a problem for many electric razors. However, most models have problems with slightly longer or flat beard hairs. As a result, the shave takes significantly longer overall. We also noticed differences in our tests in terms of skin friendliness.
Lots of technology in a Series 9 shaver ensures “Braun’s best shave”:
10D Braun Series 9 shaving head with 4+1 shaving elements
Braun foil shaver: Of course, as with all other series, Braun only uses foil razors for the premium shavers of the 9 series (in contrast to rotary shavers, such as those offered by competitor Philips).
4 shaving elements (2 foils + 2 trimmers): As long as sensors don’t “read” our beards and direct the blades to problem hair, as many different cutting devices as possible on the razor head and sufficient power (cutting movements per minute) are the best strategy to get rid of all beard hair few attempts to catch. Series 9 shavers have two shaving foils and two trimmers, while all other Braun shavers have a maximum of one trimmer. This has not changed with the new models of the “Braun Series 9 Pro”.
- 2 shaving foils = “OptiFoil” : Braun calls the shaving foils “OptiFoil”. They are intended for short stubble that gets through the holes in the wafer-thin shaving foils to the blade.
- 2 trimmers = “Lift&Cut” and “Direct&Cut”: Shaving foils are poorly suited for longer beard hair. Longer whiskers are more likely to be flattened by the foils than finding their way through one of the small holes. This is where the middle trimmer comes into play. It cuts longer beard hairs to a length of less than a millimeter. The rest of the beard hair is then caught more easily by the shaving foils. And because trimmers are not infallible either, Braun Series 9 shavers have two different trimmers. The titanium-coated “Lift&Cut Trimmer” is designed to catch flat lying hairs and the “Direct&Cut Trimmer” reaches the remaining beard hairs. In the new models of the Braun Series 9 Pro, Braun has revised the cutting elements and now calls the Lift&Cut trimmer the “ProLift trimmer”.
- “Skin Guard”: In addition, a “Skin Guard” (skin barrier) protects the skin from contact with the trimmers. Depending on whether you count the Skin Guard as a separate shaving element, Braun Series 9 razors have 4 or 5 (or as Braun sometimes writes 4+1) shaving elements.
10-D shaving head” and “Micromotion” as well as “Macromotion:
The shaving elements are individually flexibly mounted (as with the other Braun series) and thus adapt to the contours (“Micromotion”). In addition, the razor head moves back and forth (“macromotion”). Braun refers to the movable shaver head as the “10-D shaving head”. The razor head can be fixed in 5 positions using a button (“HeadLock”).
40,000 scissors and AutoSense
40,000 shaving movements: In addition to the shaving elements, the “power” plays an important role in the efficiency of a razor. As a rule, the razor is pulled relatively quickly over the stubble. The blades therefore have little time to “mow” the beard hair that has been caught. Braun Series 9 razors therefore work with 40,000 cutting movements per minute (4 shaving elements of 10,000 each).
For comparison: the new Braun 5, 6 and 7 series shavers offer 24,000 cutting strokes (3 x 8,000).
What does “AutoSense” mean?
On Series 9 shavers, sensors automatically measure beard density based on a 32-bit processor and adjust performance accordingly. This is an advantage for sensitive skin, because less power usually means better skin tolerance. Sound vibrations are intended to ensure that the razor glides more easily over the skin.
Slide-out long hair trimmer:
For sideburns, Braun Series 9 razors (and of course the new “Pro Razors” as well) have a slide-out precision trimmer (22mm wide blade) on the back.
Braun Series 9 battery and display
Li-ion battery 60min charging for up to 95min operation: From Series 5 (models 2020) Braun uses Li-ion batteries. The battery in the Series 9 models lasts particularly long. 60 minutes of charging lasts for 60 minutes of shaving. In our tests, charging was even faster and the battery lasted up to 95 minutes. 5 minutes of charging the empty battery is enough for one shave.
Braun Series 9 Pro: Some models of the Braun Series 9 Pro have a PowerCase in the set. The PowerCase * is also available separately and is compatible with all Braun Series 9 Pro and Series 8 (2021 and newer) electric shavers. It has a built-in lithium-ion battery that provides up to 50% longer battery life. It also protects the shaver, for example when travelling.
Wet and Dry: All current Series 9 and 9 Pro shavers are waterproof and “Wet & Dry shavers”. They can therefore be used in the shower and for wet shaving or with shaving foam and gel. For safety reasons, shaving with a power cord is not possible. The cable is only used to charge the battery (as an alternative to the cleaning station or charging stand).
Braun Series 9 Screen :
- The battery status is indicated by 5 white bars when charging and shaving.
- However, the last 9 minutes appear as digits.
- A red symbol also warns that the battery is getting empty.
- A lock symbol appears when the travel lock is active.
- A cleaning symbol reminds you to clean the razor and another symbol asks you to change the blades.
- After switching off, a “shutdown sequence” appears: the display shows the remaining battery charge, then the shaving head status and finally the cleaning status.
For comparison: In the new models of the 5, 6 and 7 series, Braun has also improved the display and equipped it with symbols. With the 5 and 6 series, however, you have to make do with three glowing dots for the battery status.
Automatic voltage adjustment: Like all new Braun shavers, the 9 series electric shavers also offer automatic voltage adjustment for travel.
Shaving head Braun Series 9: The series 9 shavers use shaving heads 92S or and 92M, where S stands for “silver” and M for “matt silver”. The new Series 9 Pro shavers have a 94M shaving head. However, the 93xx series models can be upgraded with the new 94M shaving head, making them even more effective for 3 and 7-day beards. Braun recommends changing the shaving head every 18 months at the latest. This is the same with other Braun shavers.
Miscellaneous Braun Series 9:
- The weight of the Series 9 razor is just over 200g. Most of the electric shavers we tested weigh between 175 and 220g.
- With a length of almost 17 cm and a width of approx. 6.5 cm, the Braun S9 razors are about the same size as many other razors.
- The power cord (Braun part no.: 81577235) is used on most Braun shavers. It is 118cm long.
Braun Series 9 vs 9 Pro: What are the differences between the Braun Series 9 models
Update November 2021: Braun new series (Series 9 Pro)
The new Braun Series 9 shavers (“Braun Series 9 Pro”) have been available since autumn 2021. One of the models has already been awarded by Stiftung Warentest as the test winner of the last electric shaver test. The new models can be recognized by the article number, which now begins with 94..
Differences to previous models: The individual razors of the new 9 Pro series differ from each other primarily in the accessories (cleaning station, charging station, travel case, charging case). Compared to the immediate predecessors of the 9 series (item numbers 93…) we have discovered the following differences:
- In our opinion, the most interesting new feature is the charging case (PowerCase) included in the set for some (but not all!) Series 9 Pro models. It contains a Li-ion battery that charges the shaver stored in the case. According to Braun, the razor should have power for up to 6 weeks. The PowerCase can also be purchased separately, so it can be retrofitted to Pro models (94..) that do not have it in the set.
- The switch for fixing the shaver head is now smaller. It is located above the on/off switch on the handle.
- One of the shearing elements was previously called the “Lift & Cut Trimmer” and is now called the “Pro Lift Trimmer”. According to Braun, the other shearing elements have also been improved.
- Up until now, Braun has differentiated between “CC models” and “s models” in the item number (e.g. 9395cc or 9325s). This distinction also applies to the new Series 9 Pro models. The “CC models” contain a 5in1 Smart Care Center, the functions of which have been expanded in the Pro version. But the Pro models with the suffix “s” are now all compatible with the cleaning station of the 8 and 9 series. This is gratifying and was unfortunately not the case with the previous models (92… or 93…).
Like the previous 93.. models in the 9 series, the new Pro series devices are also waterproof, have sonic technology, a beard density sensor, create up to 40,000 cutting movements per minute with 4+1 shaving elements, and have a display for the battery status, a Li-ion battery and a flexible shaving head.
Discontinued and predecessor models: Numerous discontinued or predecessor models (“93..” and “92..”) are also available in stores.
- The models of the immediate predecessor series (“93..”) can be found in the overview table 2.5.
- But you can still find models from the pre-pre-generation (“92..”): They do not yet have the 32-bit processor that measures the beard density, the battery performance is somewhat weaker (approx. 50 minutes instead of approx. 60 minutes running time) and the display does not yet offer the switch-off sequence. There are other differences in the colors and accessories. Minor differences can also be found in the display and when controlling the cleaning station.
Here we only report on the Braun Series 9 shaver “93..” and the new Braun Series 9 Pro series “94..”.
What do you find in all Braun Series 9 shavers? All Braun Series 9 and 9 Pro shavers come with a set
- A small cleaning brush for the blades,
- A charging cable and
- One case: Because the razor is well protected in the case, there is no protective cap for the 9 Series razors. The case is made of leather on the 9465cc, 9395cc, 9390cc, 9385cc and 9380cc models, and on all other Series 9 shavers it is made of fabric. The cases have a zipper and offer space for the shaver but not for the power supply. Some models of the 9 Pro series (9477cc, 9476cc and 9425s) have a PowerCase in the set, which not only serves to charge the shaver but also protects it.
Is there a cleaning station or charging station in the set? Braun Series 9 with cleaning station: The letters “cc” in the technical designation mean that the Series 9 shaver has a cleaning station in the set ( e.g. 9477cc *). Braun Series 9 with charging station: An “s” means there is no cleaning station ( e.g. 9417s *), but the models without a cleaning station have a charging station in the set. The charging station essentially consists of a heavy base with a connection for the power cable on the back and contact points that charge the shaver when placed on the charging station.
Update November 2021: The new Braun Series 9 Pro models are all compatible with the Series 8 and 9 cleaning station and the s models can also be upgraded later. This is gratifying and was not the case with the previous models of the 9 series (numbers 92.. or 93..). With these Series 9 models, you had to decide for or against a cleaning station when you bought it.
The cleaning station takes care of that
- To clean,
- drying and
- charging the razor.
For comparison, the data from our practical tests: Series 9: The whole process takes less than an hour. Series 3: The Series 3 cleaning stations take almost 4 hours to dry. The Series 5, 6, 7: The new 4 in 1 cleaning station of the 2020 models from the 5, 6 and 7 series is as fast as the Series 9 cleaning station.
Series 9 shavers do not work with cleaning stations from other series.
How often to clean? The Braun cleaning cartridges fit in all Braun cleaning stations. Depending on the degree of soiling, they are sufficient for around 30 cleaning processes. Braun recommends cleaning after every shave. This is why the droplet symbol appears on the display after every shave.
Tips for occasional use of the cleaning station: If you only want to use the cleaning station occasionally, you should note that the alcohol-based cleaning liquid slowly evaporates after opening the cartridge. Braun therefore recommends changing after about 8 weeks at the latest. Theoretically, the open cartridge can be temporarily closed again with the lid, but to do this it has to be removed from the cleaning station.
Braun Series 9 test: How do Series 9 (Pro) shavers from Braun perform in practical tests?
First impression: Braun shaver series 9
Appearance: Braun Series 9 razors are slightly larger than old Series 7 razors thanks to the four or five-piece shaving head. The handle is wider than in the new, ergonomically shaped models of the 5, 6 and 7 series. The premium class electric razors are elaborately and beautifully finished.
The weight: At just over 200g, the weight is on average for the electric razors we have tested so far. The new 2020 models of the 5, 6 & 7 series are slightly lighter (approx. 180g). Overall, Series 9 razors are comfortable to hold and the partly rubberized handle ensures a good grip.
The noise: The razor noise is a bit duller than with Series 7 razors. It’s not significantly quieter than other foil shavers we’ve tested, but we don’t find the deep, powerful whirring annoying.
Charge battery / mains operation
Braun dry and wet shavers: All current Braun S9 shavers are “Wet & Dry” shavers. They are waterproof and can easily be used in the shower or with shaving cream or gel.
No mains operation possible: Therefore, shaving with a power cable is excluded for safety reasons.
Advanced Li-Ion Battery: All models have an advanced Li-Ion battery. According to Braun, it takes about 60 minutes to load (in our tests it was faster). The battery capacity has been improved by 20% compared to older shavers (92xx).
A fully charged battery is now sufficient for about 60 minutes of shaving. In our tests, the battery lasted up to 95 minutes, although the runtime naturally depends on the type of use (trimming, shaving) and the beard density.
For comparison: The new 2020 shavers of the 5, 6 and 7 series also need around an hour to charge and the batteries lasted up to 65 minutes in our tests.
Quick charge: If the empty battery is charged for five minutes, the capacity in our tests is sufficient for about 5 minutes of shaving (“quick charge”).
Charging: The battery can either
- in the cleaning station or
- be charged with the included power pack (cable length approx. 120cm).
- The models without a cleaning station have a charging station in the set that can be used as an alternative to the power supply.
The display: There may be slight differences in the display between models. With the 9385cc we tested, the battery status is displayed by 5 white bars during charging and shaving (this is the case with all current 9 series shavers). A red icon warns that the battery is almost empty. A lock symbol indicates that the travel lock is activated. A cleaning symbol (two drops) reminds you to clean after each shave and a shaving head symbol indicates the need to change the blades.
Automatic voltage adjustment: For trips abroad, all 9 series shavers offer an automatic voltage adjustment (110-240V, 50-60Hz).
Adjust Braun Series 9 razors
Razor head movable on one axis: The razor head of the Braun Series 9 shaver moves on one axis (back and forth).
Razor head fixable: It can be fixed in five different positions.
Flexibly mounted shaving elements: Of course, all shaving elements of the Series 9 shaver are individually flexibly mounted. The razor adapts very well to the contours.
Slide-out trimmer: On the back, Braun Series 9 shavers have a slide-out trimmer (22mm wide blade) for sideburns and contours .
No separate trimmer attachments: While there are many accessories to buy for the new 5, 6 and 7 series shavers (beard trimmer, stubble trimmer, body groomer or facial cleansing brush attachments), 9 series shavers can be purchased after the Buy hardly “pimp”. There are simply no suitable essays.
Travel lock: If the on/off button is pressed for five seconds, the travel lock is activated. There is a “lock symbol” on the display for this purpose.
Shaving with the “Braun Series 9” razor
Also for thick beards: With their 4 or 5 shaving elements and a powerful performance of 40,000 cutting movements per minute, Braun’s Series 9 shavers also meet the highest demands. Even dense beards and slightly longer beard hair are cut above average in our practical tests thanks to the fast blades and the two integrated long hair trimmers. The effectiveness of the four shaving elements and the high performance ultimately save time every day compared to “average” razors.
Noticeably smooth skin: The result is very good for an “electric shave” – the skin feels noticeably smoother than with many of the razors we have tested.
Beard density sensor: Unlike the old 7 Series razors, whose performance can be throttled manually in 5 stages, a 32-bit processor in all current 9 Series razors automatically ensures that the performance is optimally adapted to the beard density. This is an advantage for skin compatibility, because where a lower power is sufficient, the skin is protected by less power. In our tests, the skin tolerance of the Series 9 shaver is very good, even on sensitive skin.
Use in the shower: As a waterproof “Wet & Dry razor”, every Series 9 razor can of course also be used in the shower or with shaving foam. Many men find this more pleasant and practical and sometimes also better tolerated. In our tests, the “wet shave” works about as well as the dry shave.
In summary, Braun 9 Series shavers are among the best shavers we have tested to date in terms of shaving performance.
Cleaning, maintenance and care of premium razors
What does the Braun Series 9 cleaning station do? Of course, cleaning works most elegantly with a cleaning station. We takes care of that
- To clean,
- loading and
- storing the shaver.
Braun Series 9 cleaning cartridges:
- Easy handling: In our tests, the cleaning cartridge can be inserted into the station quickly and easily.
- Change every 8 weeks at the latest: The cleaning liquid contains alcohols which gradually evaporate after opening. That’s why Braun recommends in the instructions for use to change the cartridges after about 8 weeks at the latest.
- For approx. 30 uses: Depending on the intensity of the dirt (which is recognized by the station or by the shaver itself in most Series 9 shavers), one cartridge lasts for approx. 30 uses.
- Follow-up costs: With daily use, you need a cartridge about every month, although the price per cartridge at the time of our test was slightly more than 4 euros. So there are costs of about 50 euros per year.
- Disposable cartridges: According to Braun, the cleaning cartridges are “disposable cartridges”. Empty cartridges must therefore be exchanged for new ones. However, there are also refill liquids for cleaning stations on the market (not from Braun), which we have not tested yet.
How long does a cleaning process take? Cleaning takes a few minutes, the subsequent drying process is much faster than with Series 3 cleaning stations and takes about 40 minutes.
The shaver head is disinfected by the alcohols at the same time. In addition, the cleaning fluid contains care products that replace manual oiling of the shaving head. The razor does not necessarily have to be “pre-cleaned” manually before cleaning. The whiskers remain in the cleaning liquid and sink to the bottom of the cartridge.
Cleaning – Braun Series 9 without cleaning station:
Manual cleaning is possible as an alternative to the cleaning station and for Series 9 shavers without a cleaning station. This works well in our tests thanks to the waterproof housing.
- Blade cleaning brush: A small cleaning brush is supplied with every Series 9 shaver to clean the blades. It is not intended for brushing the shaving foil.
- Rinse under running water: The (remaining) whiskers can be washed away under running water.
- Disinfecting the shaver: Of course, disinfection is also possible, for example with soap or Braun cleaning liquid.
- Oiling the razor: If you only clean the shaver manually, the shaving foils and trimmers should occasionally be treated with a drop of light machine oil.
How often to change the shaving head? Braun recommends (as with all shavers) replacing the shaving heads of the Series 9 shaver every 18 months at the latest.
Is a battery exchange possible? It is not easy to change the battery at home. Firstly, the battery is permanently installed in the device and secondly, the housing should be waterproof again after the change (note the 2-year manufacturer’s guarantee).4. What accessories and spare parts are there for the Series 9 and Series 9 Pro shavers?
Braun Series 9 accessories and spare parts
Two products in particular are available for purchase for the Braun Series 9: shaving heads and cleaning cartridges. The shaving head should be replaced about every 18 months to guarantee a perfect result.
The price for a shaving head is around 50 euros. A cleaning cartridge lasts about three weeks with daily use. The cartridges are offered in a set and cost about 20 euros for five pieces. We consider the price to be quite reasonable in both cases, but it should be considered before purchasing.
Braun Series 9 spare parts: The separately available accessories for Series 9 shavers are “manageable”. Apart from “spare parts” (new shaving head, cleaning brush, plug-in power supply, case), Series 9 razors with cleaning station can also be expanded to include a charging stand. The new Series 9 Pro razors (94xx) can also be supplemented with the PowerCase.
Cleaning station “retrofittable”? Series 9 shavers without a cleaning station (93xx s) cannot be retrofitted with one. However, the Braun Series 9 Pro (94xx s) razors can be upgraded with the special Pro cleaning station.
No trimmer attachments available Unlike the new 2020 models of the 5, 6 and 7 series, there are no clip-on attachments for the 9 series razor (beard trimmer, body groomer etc).
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you looking for an answer to a specific question about the Braun Series 9 vs 9 pro? Then you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions here.
Braun shaver series 9: Can the battery be replaced?
The battery of a Series 9 shaver cannot easily be replaced at home, because on the one hand it is permanently installed in the shaver and on the other hand the housing should remain waterproof. Also check the manufacturer’s warranty. Specialist workshops or service partners can carry out a battery change.
Can a Braun Series 9 shaver be used on the body?
There is no special body groomer attachment available for the 9 Series shaver. Series 9 razors are therefore not intended for shaving body hair. Longer body hair would first have to be trimmed with the narrow, extendable long hair trimmer. There are more efficient devices for this.
Tip: A body groomer attachment is available for the new shavers (from 2020) of the 5, 6 & 7 series .
Can the shaver trim a beard (e.g. three-day beard)?
No Unlike the new 2020 shavers, Braun Series 9 shavers do not have an attachable beard trimmer attachment with combs of different lengths. With the extendable long hair trimmer, the sideburns can primarily be trimmed straight and the contours cared for.
However, a three-day beard can be shaved off with an S9 razor. Thanks to the two trimmers in the shaving head and the powerful performance, this works better than with many other razors.
Braun advertises the Braun Series 9 Pro series as efficiently and gently removing a 1-, 3- or 7-day beard.
Tip: Older Braun Series 9 shavers can also be upgraded with the 94M shaving head.
Do Braun 9 series shavers work with cleaning stations from other Braun series?
No The premium shavers only work with the cleaning station supplied (on some Series 9 models). All Series 9 models with a “cc” in the technical designation have a cleaning station in the set (e.g. Braun 9385cc).
The Series 9 Pro has its own cleaning station that is compatible with all models.
Can Braun Series 9 shavers without a cleaning station be subsequently “upgraded” with a cleaning station?
Series 9: No. Series 9 models with a cleaning station in the set have a special chip installed for the cleaning station.
Series 9 Pro: Yes. The Braun Series 9 Pro shavers are all compatible with the special Pro cleaning station and can also be retrofitted.
Why does the cleaning droplet icon appear after every shave?
Because Braun recommends cleaning after every shave and the symbol reminds you of this recommendation.
Are all Braun Series 9 shavers waterproof, so can they be used for wet shaving or in the shower?
Yes. All current models (94xx) and the previous models (93xx) are waterproof and suitable for wet shaving, including shaving foam or gel, as well as use in the shower.
Can a Braun Series 9 shaver also be operated with a mains cable (e.g. when the battery is empty)?
No All Series 9 shavers are wet & dry shavers, i.e. also intended for wet applications and therefore shaving with a power cable is not possible for safety reasons.
How often does the shaving head need to be changed?
The shaving head is very durable and should be changed every 18 months according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The price is around 50 euros.
Can I use the razor with shaving cream or in the shower?
This depends on the model: versions with Wet&Dry Technology are suitable for use with shaving foam and can be used in the shower.
Which Braun Series 9 shaver is the best?
With the latest Pro generation, Braun has developed what is currently the best Series 9 shaver. The new shaving head cuts longer beard hair noticeably better and was able to convince us in the test.
Can the shaver also be used for scalp hair?
Given the right conditions, the Series 9 can also be used to trim the hair on the head. However, the hair should be very short so that the blades can grab and cut it properly.
The Braun Series 9 is rightly the premium series from the well-known brand manufacturer. This has not changed after the introduction of the new 2020 models of the 5 to 7 series. In 2021 the series was revised and new Braun Series 9 Pro models were launched.
Series 9 razors are technically very well made and actually guarantee – as Braun himself puts it – “Braun’s best shave”. This is ensured by 4 shaving elements (2 foils and 2 trimmers for longer beard hair) and with 40,000 cutting movements, the strongest performance that Braun shavers have to offer.
In our tests, there is hardly anything wrong with the efficiency of the shaver. The shave works quickly and well, even with thick beards. The skin becomes very smooth for an electric shaver and the skin-friendliness is very good.
The 9 series shavers that have a cleaning station in the set (“cc” models) provide the necessary convenience and save time. Here, the station takes care of cleaning, disinfecting, oiling, drying, charging and storing the shaver at the push of a button.
As far as value for money is concerned, the cheaper, equally excellent Series 7 razors have so far been a good alternative to the rather expensive S9 razors. With the new models of the 7 series (from 2020), the 7 series has, in our opinion, come closer to the “middle class” 5 and 6 series.
For the highest demands, we therefore currently recommend Braun fans a Series 9 Pro / Series 9 (or Series 8 ) shaver or (while still available) for bargain hunters who want to spend a little less, an old Series 7 model.
My name is William Lais, I am the chief editor of Rasoirelectric.com. My aim with this site is to help you to get the best shaving products & also help you to know the proper use of shaving and Beauty products…